August is Kids Eat Right Month and also when most kids head back to school.* Help the kids in your life make healthful choices as they start back to school by seizing a snackvantage.
You see, snacks offer a great opportunity to sneak in a little more nutrition during the day. Don’t fill kids’ bags with empty calories or added sugars. Instead, think of the advantage snacks offer and give kids a little more from whatever food group they need most. That’s a definite snackvantage.
Here are a few ideas…
• Apples with peanut butter (or sunflower seed butter if there are nut allergies at your school)
• Low-fat cheese stick and a mandarin orange
• Hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper
• Celery sticks with nut or seed butter and raisins
• Banana and 1/4 cup of roasted almonds
• Sliced carrots with yogurt dressing
• Roasted vegetables rolled in a whole wheat wrap with low-fat cream cheese
• Nonfat plain Greek yogurt and strawberries
This all works for after-school snacks too!